Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Tragedy of Christianity

As I continue to research and write, I sometimes find my eyes welling with tears at what I read.  I still find it difficult to believe the atrocities committed by men in the name of god.....but history tells me it is true.
But after all this time, I should not be too surprised, as the bible goes against every human right that has ever existed. It advocates rape, incest, murder, war mongering, among others, and most Christians, especially in the Capitalist matrix where selfishness and greed prevail, are not concerned with the rights of anyone except their own.

Take slavery for example. The bible advocates slavery, so Christians of course thought it was well and good to treat their fellow man as animals--all for the almighty dollar. Then they forced the religion that made Africans slaves--down their throats.  Blacks in America remain enslaved by Christianity, while their African roots are a far and distant memory...

The Inquisition demonized women who were spinsters (women who "spun" wool, and did not need a man to support them) and midwives. The church deemed their healing arts "witchcraft" and they were burned at the stake. The church did not like women to be knowlegable or independent of men, so they took that power away from them. When men took over the birthing of babies, women and children died by the thousands because they did not practice the same cleanliness techniques.

All this is not new to me.  I have been aware of the atrocities committed by Chrstians for a long time, but it still grieves my heart, and every time I read about it, it puts me in a sad, and strange frame of mind.   Today, I was reading David Stannard's "American Holocaust" and I cried when I read about the Spaniards who strung up the Indians in South America in groups of 13 to represent the "apostles and their "savior" and how they forced the surviving Indians to adopt Christianity or die a horrible horrible death.......  I don't understand how humans can treat each other this way.  Here is an excerpt to illustrate what I mean, as the author of "American Holocaust," David Stannard, quotes Las Casas retelling an incident he witnessed in South America:

"The Spaniards found pleasure in inventing all kinds of odd cruelties, the more cruel the better, with which to spill human blood. They build a long gibbet, low enough for the toes to touch the ground and prevent strangling, and ganged thirteen (natives) at a time in HONOR OF CHRIST OUR SAVIOR and the twelve Apostles. When the indians were thus alive and hanging, the Spaniards tested their strength and their blades against them, ripping chests open with one blow and exposing entrails, and there were those who did worse. Then, straw was wrapped around their torn bodies and they were burned alive. One man caught two children about two years old, pierced their throats with a dagger, then hurled them down a precipice." American Holocaust, David Stannard, p. 72


Christianity has proven itself to be an institution with an agenda, and its mandate is manipulation, power, control and greed--nothing more. What they do in the form of altruism--is merely tokenism, as they do what they must in order to fulfill their mandate. 

It truly is a sickening philosophy used in even more sickening ways......  


5 comments:

ex-minister1 said...

I am in a quote-y mood today. Your articles just bring some to mind.

Good people can do good and bad people can do evil. But for good people to do evil -- that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

When I think of all the harm [the bible] has done, I despair of ever writing anything to equal it. - Oscar Wilde

I am a former minister as my name indicates. I took a course in Christian history. After a month or so the class was just sitting around and quietly talking. One guy said this is just so sad. We all nodded in agreement. It was a depressing day.

A is for Atheist said...

@ ex-minister

I think if more Christians studied the brutality of the history of their religion, they might think twice about why they believe what they do.

I love the quotes you mentioned--they "hit the nail on the head" so to speak. I certainly believe the bible has done more harm than good.

Anonymous said...

Hey great post, do you have a pdf version of the American Holocuast? Or do you know where can i dowload one for free?

A is for Atheist said...

@ Andreas

Sorry, I do not know where you can get a free pdf version of the book, but most libraries should carry a copy of it. I hope you manage to find one, it is very enlightening and well worth the read.

Anonymous said...

I hope you realize chrsitians aren't perfect and none of us said we were.. oh and athiesim is right huh it dosent matter that you go and kill a dude right or rape a chick right or abuse a chick right and then what kind of joy do you get out of judging people huh is that fun to you.. I would lay my life down for Christ jesus I would have my throught slit it half for his NAME.. I would die a slow painful death for him.. and nothing you say over a stupid blog will change any Christians plans to do so this blog is simply about a guy who posts online to scared to do shiz in life abiut his complaints your cool bro, as for the KKK against black ppl and claim to be chritians they arnt.. they are actually far from following the rules and I have friends who are blac they wanna kill them guess what come stab my limbs out first.. got it.. the Lord is my savior and your opinion dosent make a slmi change to anything and point taken you read stuff the world says about us not what God says for all you know they can be lying ..actually learn who we are before getting up and every where because then youll just be shootin lies every where.. and that's exacly what happeing and I prey your lying mouth will be settled on the day of judgment by the lord and hopefully by then you've changed your mind and repented brah ;)

Post a Comment